While at my husbands Aunts house she taught me how to make Spanish rice. It was amazing and so perfect. As soon as I got home I just had to make some more to go along with my homemade tortillas and chicken cheese enchiladas. But upon coming home I realized, I didn't have a main ingredient! uh-oh! I didn't have the plain tomato sauce, so I got to thinking "why not make my own?"
So that's just what I did...
Plain Tomato Sauce
For the Spanish rice you need an 8 oz can of plain tomato sauce.
To do this, you will need:
-3 medium or large ripe tomatoes
-Blender or food processor. I have a ninja blender which does it just as a food processor would. I'm not 100% sure on what blenders would have the same effect. Just something to blend it up really well. Steal blades.
-small or medium pot & stove
Steps:
-wash tomatoes in cold water.
-cut up tomatoes in to small pieces, doesn't have to be super small. just small enough that it puree's nicely.
-if you want you can take out the seeds, I only take out some of the seeds.
-place all of it in the blender or food processor.
-pulse until the tomato is fully pureed & blended.
-pour the pure in to the pot and cook covered on the lowest setting.
-stir every 15-20 minutes for 2 -3 hours until the puree becomes rich in color and is thicker.
-pour into a container and let it cool off before putting it in the fridge or freezer for later use.
**this will give you about 8-10 oz of sauce, it is thinner than canned but taste just as good!**
Spanish Rice with homemade tomato sauce
Ingredients:
-1 cup white rice
-1 tablespoon oil (olive, vegetable or canola will work)
-homemade tomato sauce recipe (8-10 oz) OR one 8 oz store bought can
-2 cups room temperature water
-quarter of an onion, chopped up to desired size
-frozen corn (optional)
-season to taste (I use garlic powder, chili powder, pepper & salt)
Steps:
-on a pan turned up to medium-high, heat up oil
-wait a few minutes and then add rice. brown the rice till its slightly brown. stir every few minutes.
-add tomato sauce, water, corn & seasons
-stir then let it boil
-cover & DO NOT STIR AGAIN!!
-cook for 15-20 minutes
-to check to see if it is done, take a spoon and peek in the side of the pan to see if water is still in the pan, if no water is visible... ITS DONE. still DON'T STIR.
-place pan to the side and wait till the rest of the meal is done, right before you are about to serve, then you can stir the rice!! Stirring the rice multiple times will cause it to become mussy.

No comments:
Post a Comment